This salad is a satisfying and flavorful side dish. Aside from kale and quinoa, any vegetable can be added. Those I use here create a pleasant mix of taste and texture.
Quinoa and Kale Salad
- Quinoa, 1 cup cooked and cooled or at room temperature
- Cherry tomatoes, 2 cups halved
- Yellow, red and orange mini bell peppers, 2 cups julienned
- Jalapeños, 3 julienned
- Cilantro, 1 cup whole leaves
- Pecans, 1 cup, toasted and halved
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds), 1 cup, toasted
- Lime juice
- SPICY SESAME DRESSING
- In a jar, combine and shake:
- Olive oil, 3 tablespoons
- Toasted sesame oil, 1 tablespoon
- Rice vinegar, no salt and sugar, 3 tablespoons
- Sriracha, 3 tablespoons
- Soy Sauce, low sodium, 1 tablespoon
- Lime juice, 1 tablespoon
- Preparation is best done in stages by making the quinoa in advance, as well as rubbing lime juice into the torn kale leaves and roasting the pecans and pepitas.. You can slice the vegetables while the kale macerates.
- In a large bowl add:
- Torn kale leaves, as though you’re making a garden salad.
- Rub kale with lime juice. Let absorb for at least 30 minutes.
- Gradually mix into kale, leaving quinoa for last:
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Julienned peppers and red onion
- Toasted pecan halves
- Toss salad thourougly to ensure quinoa coats kale.
- Gradually add dressing while continuing to toss.
Copyright Word Crafty